It doesn’t take much to go slightly overboard while having a holly, jolly time. Unfortunately, overindulgence isn’t just a human trait during the holidays. It’s all too easy to make our pets accomplices in our festive snacking.

But as bad as overeating is for us – it’s not good for our pets. There are many toxic foods for pets that can lead to serious illness and possibly worse.

With that in mind, steer clear of these toxic foods for pets this season, by keeping things out of reach and just saying “no.”

  • Chocolate: In addition to an abundance of caffeine and fat, which are unhealthy for pets, chocolate also contains a substance that can cause nausea, diarrhea and even seizures in dogs. Interesting fact – the darker the chocolate, the more hazardous for your dog. Avoid.
  • Fruit: Many pet owners are surprised to discover that raisins and grapes can be fatal for their pets. Even as few as four raisins can harm a dog and more could ultimately lead to kidney failure. Persimmons, too, are hard on our dogs’ digestive tracks, while the pits of peaches and plums contain cyanide. If cracked open and ingested, they can be toxic.
  • Table scraps: Turkey, ham, and roasts are holiday staples for revelers, but for dogs – they offer nothing but trouble. Bones from festive meats can splinter in the digestive system, causing lacerations. They can also cause obstructions or choking. Fat from meat scraps contributes to the development of pancreatitis.
  • Nuts: Many holiday cookies contain nuts, which are choking hazards for our pets. At a minimum, they often cause upset tummies. Chemicals toxic to dogs are also found in Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts, while nutmeg (a spice, technically) can cause seizures and nervous system disorders in high doses.
  • Mushrooms and onions: Wild mushrooms have been cited as causing organ failure, while onions – used in so many holiday dishes from sauces to stuffing and beyond – are one of the biggest toxic foods for pets. Even a small amount can be poisonous.
  • Alcohol: Even if they’re not driving, make sure your dog only has fresh water to drink at the holiday party. Alcohol is quickly absorbed into a dog’s bloodstream. Low blood pressure, seizure, or respiratory failure may result. Champagne and fruitcake are doubly dangerous.

Keep your pets safe this season. If you think your dog has consumed any of these toxic foods for pets or other hazardous substances, call your veterinarian immediately. The Animal Poison Control Hotline is also standing by at (888) 426-4435.