Daily activity throughout the year is incredibly important to provide essential exercise for dogs. Regular, routine activity keeps your pet’s mind sharp and the body fit, and provides the following benefits:
- Weight control
- Digestive health
- Ample rest
- Improved mobility
- Mental stimulation
- Positive behaviors
Emphasizing exercise for dogs is also essential for your bank account. Warding off disease with exercise and nutrition ultimately results in fewer veterinary visits and significant savings throughout your pet’s lifetime.
Establish a Home Workout Routine
Providing your dog with plenty of exercise and play doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Just a few active moments together are all it takes to make a difference.
The following activities will not only benefit your favorite pooch but may very well deliver health benefits for you, as well.
- Take a daily walk: Grab the leash and take a walk around your neighborhood or the park. Even a quick stroll is beneficial, and the benefits cumulate with each outing.
- Challenge your pup to a tug of war: Pull toys work your dog’s muscles and are a great way to invigorate your pup. Better yet, the game may even give you a run for your money.
- Go fetch: Chasing a ball after a potty break is a fun reward and a great way to blow off some steam.
- Hide-N-Seek: A KONG® or similar hide-a-treat toy will encourage your dog to work for its treats.
- Practice makes perfect: If your dog is in training, (gently) drilling basic obedience skills is a workout that pulls double-duty.
- Social play: Engaging with other dogs at a local daycare or dog park on a nice day delivers free play and exercise.
- Reaching the next level: Advanced training, agility, or lure coursing, and competitive sports keep your dog’s mind and body active.
No worries if it’s raining. Enrichment toys and activities are designed to challenge your dog to think, problem-solve, and remain active using brain games, challenging sensory work, and structured athletics and play. Most can even be done indoors during inclement weather.
- Food puzzles, like the aforementioned KONG®, a Tricky Treat™ Ball, or the Twist ‘n Treat™, encourage patience and problem-solving.
- Try hiding small amounts of dry kibble around the house – seeking it out slows a fast eater down a smidge while promoting a healthy weight.
Find a Fitting Pet Resort
Your dog’s exercise routine doesn’t need to stop cold while you’re out of town or busy during the day. Studies have shown that animals are happier and healthier when they receive regular activity and human interaction. A pet resort provides a positive experience and plenty of interaction.
At Green Acres Pet Resort in DeForest, WI, dogs enjoy ample exercise, socialization, and one-on-one time with a compassionate and skilled staff. Spa visits deliver a fresh and clean pup, while climate-controlled rooms and comfy bedding ensure a good night’s rest for boarding guests.
Our daycare and boarding services provide:
- A safe, positive, and fun-filled atmosphere that offers the comforts of home and essential exercise for dogs.
- Exciting and engaging activities that support the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical wellbeing of each guest.
- Supervision from committed, compassionate, and trained team members.